Wednesday, July 7, 2010

Beef Pie Recipe


I saw J.oliver make the pie and I tried making it myself. I love his cooking show!
Aja has asked for the recipe, so I post here the recipe as per my attempt at it. If anyone has any suggestion how to spruce up the recipe, feel free to leave comments :)

The filling:- Butter, mushrooms, diced meat, coca cola (to replace beer[haram beb]), cheese (cheddar/mozzarella), grounded black pepper, onions, garlic, black pepper sauce and salt.

How I cooked the filling:-
1. the diced onions and garlic - sautee;
2. add in grounded black pepper;
3. then add in sliced mushrooms;
4. brown the meat together with sauteed onions and garlic;
5. poor in a bottle of coca cola (small);
6. then leave it simmer and reduce..the coke helps soften the meat; and
7. add in salt to balance the taste i.e. secukup rasa.

I added here black pepper sauce as part of ingredients despite not using it in the recipe at the time. I just found out how the Life - black pepper sauce is really delicious and think it'd be a nice addition here.

For the pie crust:- Iused butter and ready made puff pastry which I bought at Giant.

1. Roll out the puff pastry using a rolling pin, I put pieces of butter in between the puff pastry layers prior to rolling them out...watched anime -Yakitate Japan and thot of this addition. Puff pastry used for making butter croissant... so i added butter in between layers;

2. I used butter to grease the baking dish then preferably bake the bottom layer for a few mins till crispy. I didnt do this the last time i baked the pie, thus it took longer to cook the lower crust; and

3. For the top crust, same thing...roll out the puff pastry (add butter in between the puff pastry layers). Once rolled out, score the pastry with a knife making a basket weave design, brush some egg wash on the pastry;To assemble:- Pour in the filling into the baked pastry in the baking dish, then pour in the shredded cheese over the filling, I also mix the cheese with the filling so that every bite u also get some cheese. Last but not least, carefully place the pastry over banking dish and tuck in the sides...bake until the top crust becomes golden...voila. Beef Pie!

Aja, u try it and tell me the outcome ok?

2 comments:

  1. haha..tq soo much khalid..!!mcm susah je nak buat puff pastry tu.dun think it works with microwave coz i dun have an oven at home..kena beli oven dulu la..but tq for putting the effort to put the recipe.lain kali pls2 letak recipe skali when u post the pics..hehe will link yr blog..arigato!!!

    ReplyDelete